First I would like to begin by giving my sincere apologies for being MIA for the past few weeks. Between the hurricane Sandy aftermath, catching the flu and escaping the Nor'easter storm by staying with family, things have been just a little crazy in my life. I'm back to blog and here to stay with no plans of a disappearing act in the future, so sorry :)
Tis the season for giving and what could be more perfect than a simple and delicious Zucchini Carrot bread. In mini form it is the perfect size to package and give to someone special this holiday season. Oh and it just happens to have some great Thanksgiving colors. I used mini sized disposable baking pans in addition to a full size loaf pan. This bread is great with a cup of coffee or tea and has served as a lovely breakfast for me and hubby over the past few days. It is super moist and not too sweet. I used applesauce instead of vegetable oil to make it a bit healthier and bring down the calorie count. If you would like to use the full fat recipe go ahead and replace the applesauce with 1 cup vegetable oil. I don't think you will miss the oil especially if you use the cream cheese frosting. Hope you enjoy and might I mention it is best to serve warm for that cozy comfort food feeling.
Cream Cheese Spread
Yield: 2 Loaves (9x13 pan)
1 cup Cream Cheese (1 package room temperature)
1 cup Raw Sugar
1/2 cup Honey
1 cup Applesauce
2 teaspoons PURE Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cups grated Zucchini
1/2 cup grated Carrots
1 cup chopped Walnuts (optional)
3 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a Large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar and honey. Use electric hand mixer to cream together. Approx. 3 minutes.
3. Add in eggs and blend with mixer.
4. Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg & cinnamon. Blend with mixer.
5. Stir in applesauce, vanilla, grated zucchini, and grated carrot until mixed well.
6. Stir in Walnuts with mixing spoon.
7. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray (I used 1 loaf pan and 2 mini pans)
8. Pour mixture into loaf pan about 1/2 way. (The mixture will rise to top when baking)
9. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean from middle of loaf.
10. Top with cream cheese spread, (recipe below) butter, or enjoy by itself.
Cream Cheese Spread
1 8oz package Cream Cheese (room temperature)
1 stick of Butter softened
2 1/2 cups powdered Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 tablespoon Honey
Mix together cream cheese and butter using an electric hand mixer.
Add powdered sugar, vanilla,& honey. Mix until well blended.
Spread onto individual slices of bread.